The Royal Australian Regiment Corporation, traditionally known nationally as The Royal Australian Regiment Association (RARA) is an incorporated Company which functions as the peak representative body of its constituent members: the RAR State/Territory and Battalion Associations/Corporation.
It was formed in 2009 to:
- enhance and protect the legal rights and limited liability of its members,
- broaden the opportunities previously not available to an unincorporated entity,
- appoint a Board that is democratically elected and subject to current best practice corporate governance and management.
- fostering and protecting the interests of its Members and their members and their families in any matter likely to be relevant to them during or after their service in the Royal Australian Regiment;
- providing advice and guidance to the Members and their members;
- perpetuating the close bonds of comradeship and esprit de corps created by service in the Royal Australian Regiment;
- preserving the memory of those members of the Regiment who have died on active and overseas service;
- representing the interests of the serving and ex-serving members of the Regiment and their families at national level;
- planning, organising and developing benefit services and conducting events related to the Members and the Regiment;
- developing and representing, the Members view on matters of interest to appropriate parties on National Matters;
- conducting fund raising activities on National Matters; and
- fostering, promoting and supporting the formation and growth of Members without in any way impinging on the internal management of their organisation.
To achieve its purpose the Corporation may enter into a relationship with any other organisation whose purpose/objects are compatible with ours..
The Corporation is governed by a Board of Directors and a National Council of its Members. The National Council comprises the Presidents of the RAR State/Territory Association Branches and the Battalion RAR Associations.
The Board comprises:
Michael von Berg MC OAM – Chairman. Michael is the President of the SA Branch of the RAR Association. He served with 5 RAR in Vietnam and has had broad and extensive experience in international and national business activities.
He lives in Adelaide.
Hori Howard AO MC ESM – Director. Hori is the immediate past Honorary Colonel Commandant of the Royal Australian Regiment. After many years in the Army was the Director of the NSW State Emergency Service. He maintains an active involvement in ES.
He lives in Austinmer NSW.
Stephen Dunn AM – Director. Stephen founded Dunns4 Consulting Pty Ltd in September 2010 after an extensive military career that saw him retire with the rank of Brigadier. He has a Graduate Diploma in Management Studies, a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations, Directors Diploma in Personnel Management, and is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He has been a Director of the Royal Australian Regiment Foundation since 2010 and President of the Royal Australian Regiment Association – ACT since 2014.
He lives in Canberra.
Christopher Tilley – Director. Chris is a former Infantryman posted to 3 RAR and has operational service in East Timor and Afghanistan. Currently working full time Chris has undertaken numerous extracurricular appointments and activities including; Dept. for Correctional Services SA Veteran Support, Veterans’ Advisory Council SA, Younger Veterans Forum (RAR Corp.) and the ESORT Hearing Services Roundtable.
He lives in Murray Bridge SA.
SGT Anthony Meixner – Director. Chris is a current serving Infantryman posted to 1 RAR and has operational service in The Solomon Islands, East Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan. He is also the Chief of People and Culture Officer as well as a Co-Founder of Swiss8 whose team of combat veterans have built a proactive mental health program that is delivered through a mobile app. The programs that the app offers are all proven to reduce anxiety and depression.
He lives in Townsville.
Greg Decker – National Secretary. Greg served with 8/9 RAR as a senior NCO retiring as a WO Class One in 1999. The role of National Secretary is primarily focused on engagement with our RAR Family. Greg will is responsible for sending out information to you on emails, our website and Facebook along with conducting polls and our regular newsletter.
He lives in Brisbane.
Trevor Dixon – Company Secretary. Trevor is the Managing Director of a number of commercial enterprises. He is an advisor to the board of the DFWA, Chairman of his local High School Council and has previous experience including appointment as Company Secretary to another national not-for-profit as well as the immediate past president of his local RSL Sub-Branch.
The Corporation currently has both a Patron and Co-Patron:
Patron of the National Memorial Walk (NMW) –